 Administrative / General / 1598
Re: Lego Loco Group
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 6 May 1999 13:45:33 GMT

On Wed, 5 May 1999 00:11:40 GMT, lehman@javanet.com (Todd Lehman) wrote:

Alright, I'm with ya on the .announce part (as long as there's a natural
good place for followups).

Here's another earlier thread on the same subject (you probably saw it):

  http://www.lugnet.com/news/fullthread.cgi?lugnet.general:3561

Let's brainstorm possibilities for the ng name, keeping in mind all other
related products from LEGO MEDIA, such as LEGO Chess, LEGO Creator, the N64
games, etc.:

  lugnet.announce.lego-loco

That one is simple, fits with the current structure, lumps all
non-discussion 'announce' groups together.  Of course, having 'announce'
groups attached to each area of interest makes (almost as) as much sense as
putting them all into a single hierarchy, separate from the discussion
areas.

  lugnet.trains.lego-loco.announce

That one is pretty good, although I wonder how much affinity there is
between trainheads and people who want to play multi-user Lego Loco.  I'm
sure there's some affinity, but is it a high level?

  lugnet.trains.lego-loco.session{s}.announce

Good, but too long.

  lugnet.games.lego-loco.announce

Sure, if there was a lugnet.games.* hierarchy.

  lugnet.games.lego.chess
  lugnet.games.lego.creator
  lugnet.games.lego.loco
  lugnet.games.lego.loco.announce
  lugnet.games.lego.racers

lugnet.games.lego is needlessly redundant.[1]

  lugnet.lego-media.lego-loco.announce

lugnet.lego[-.]media.(lego-)loco.announce would work.

  lugnet.lego.media.loco.announce

I wonder if dropping the "lego-" from before loco would be a problem?  It
doesn't 'sound' right.  But the shorter ng-name is good.

Other possibilities?

Would a more general purpose game-sessions announcement group work?

   lugnet.games.session(s).announce
   lugnet.games.announce
   lugnet.announce.games
   lugnet.announce.session(s)

Assuming there are (or will be) other multi-player Lego games to host and
announce.  Does Lego Chess allow two-player connections?  Not quite the
same with just two players, I guess.

Steve

1-"Needlessly redundant" sure sounds like an oxymoron.