 Administrative / General / 1597
Re: Suggestion for emails
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 6 May 1999 06:38:47 GMT

<inline>

I like getting messages by email, but if I ever want to reply, I
always go to my web browser to track down the message - simply because
I noticed that if I try to reply on the newsgroup by email, it seems
to muck up the software that tracks threads - and my reply gets marked
as starting a new thread.

What e-mail software are you using that causes this?

Outlook 98.

If you receive the groups in digest form rather than regular-message form,
then you'll see something like this at the top of the digest message:

and near the top of each individual message:

  http://www.lugnet.com/news/display.cgi?lugnet.loc.us.nc.ral:35
  http://www.lugnet.com/news/display.cgi?lugnet.loc.us.nc.ral:37

In regular non-digest messages the X-Message-Archive header appears as well,
but you have to have the full-header display turned on to see it.  Note that
the URL can't be put into the actual message, otherwise people would forget
to delete it when they replied.

OK, thanks Todd. I'll have a browse round outlook to see how I can turn the
full header display on.

Just out of interest, is the lugnet software still supposed to be able to
correctly place messages received by email in the thread? After I'd
noticed on one occasion it didn't, I assumed it probably wasn't supposed to
because that would be such a difficult programming task anyway: If there
was no information in the email headers (though from your posting it seems
to imply there would be) then it'd be a hard job matching up text replied to
to find the position in the thread.

Thanks again for the info

Simon
http://www.SimonRobinson.com