 Administrative / General / 1479
Re: LEGOLand newsgroups?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Mon, 26 Apr 1999 21:21:36 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, galliard@shades-of-night.com (James Brown) writes:
In lugnet.general, Todd Lehman writes:
What do people in the local areas think about Mark's suggestion?
[...]

Hmm, strikes me as rather unnecessary.  Except right around the opening
of Carlsbad, I've seen minimal traffic about Legoland(s), and virtually
none of it was noise (where ever it happened to be, usually .general).
Unless there's been a lot of posting in the .loc heirarchy about it, and the
posting is straying from existing charters, I would say it's unnecessary.

Are current traffic levels in the loc groups good indicators of what the
traffic levels might be in special focus groups?

For example, if someone is interested in asking questions or learning about
LEGOLAND California, how likely are they to go dig up the name of the
lugnet.loc.us.ca.sd group and post there?  Would everyone even know where to
look, or that they could/should look?  They might just post to
lugnet.general, but then again they might feel it was a bit off-topic.

How about if someone wanted to post a specific question common to all of the
LEGOLAND theme parks -- a question targeted just at people in the local
areas?  They would have to figure out that they would have to crosspost a
message to lugnet.loc.dk.rb.bil,lugnet.loc.uk.en.bk.win,lugnet.loc.us.ca.sd
-- as I did a couple messages ago (and it wasn't fun :).

Discussions about Legoland(s) fit quite happily under any number of
charters, depending on the specific discussion.  (.general, .build,
.dear-lego, etc)

Yeah...probably mostly under .general, with spin-offs perhaps to .build or
.dear-lego, depending on what's being said.  But are people likely to feel
*comfortable* asking mundane questions or holding mundane conversations
about LEGOLAND parks in the .general group?  The best thing about focused
discussion groups is that "everyday discussions" (i.e., the mundane) are
welcomed -- a lot like the .market.shipping and .market.shopping groups.

Another problem with the loc groups for something like, for example,
LEGOLAND California, is that of constant crossposting.  I think a lot of the
opening celebration posts were crossposted between the .loc.ca.sd &
.loc.ca.sf groups, as well as .general -- just because there was no clear
"home base" for the discussions.  I would have been much more useful if the
threads were started via crossposting to those groups (to elicit attention)
with followups set to a LEGOLAND-CA-specific group (had there been one).

I like Mark's suggestion, and it almost seems to me like we need a reason
-not- to do it rather than a reason -to- do it.  :)  I suppose the bottom
line is whether anyone has ever wanted to communicate about LL's but has
held back for whatever reason.

--Todd