 Administrative / General / 13858
Re: malicious behavior
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Wed, 14 Feb 2007 21:41:05 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Timothy Gould wrote:
   In lugnet.admin.general, David Koudys wrote:
   In lugnet.admin.general, Soren Roberts wrote:
   In lugnet.admin.general, David Koudys wrote:

   Seriously, Eric--walk away from this--you’re better than this.

Actually, the available evidence indicates that he’s, you know, not. So I think it’s probably better to appeal to the people poking him. And since I used to be one of them, who better to deliver the message?

Actually, you’d be qrong--the available evidence is that he, you know, is better than this. However, being sniped at by, well, many, many people, is grating and I can’t blame someone for lashing out. That said, I fully realize that his lashing out leaves much to be desired and perpetuates the problem. Hence the ‘walk away’ from this.

I’ve stayed out of this thread until this comment. There is no evidence that Eric is in anyway better than this. There is plenty of evidence that he is not. Just because people get a rise out of him doesn’t mean he is well-behaved. I had minimal history with Eric until I dared to point out his TOU violation and after that he launched a full-scale attack on me. I am not the first person and I’m not the last person this has happened to.

I had a whole beautiful (if I do so say myself) exposition here but somehow the page refreshed and it all went ‘bye bye’! So I start again, and I’ve noticed from past experiences, that the second time through is never as good as the first one.

I’ve never stated that Eric is without fault. That’s actually the whole jist of the ‘you’re better than this’--we all make mistakes, but we can all ‘get better’ and not make the same mistakes again. I’ve seen it in Eric. He’s done it, hence I know that he’s better than this. Others dredging up his past misdeeds (or even alluding to them) is the wrong way to get beyond this.

   Yes. Eric’s taunters are badly behaved (myself included) but this doesn’t stop Eric from being badly behaved. For you to argue that he isn’t and that others are completely ignores the body of evidence to the contrary. In no way will I argue that one side is always right and the other side is always wrong but I feel you set a dangerous precedent by essentially doing that yourself.

Again, I’d never argue that Eric hasn’t misbehaved. I’ve been here on LUGNET long enough to know that not many people are ‘without sin’ around here. I’m not setting a precedent beyond the idea that pepole can, and have, changed around here. Whether others see that is entirely up to them.

--snip--

   You dont’ have to like Eric. I don’t think anyone here is asking you to like, well, anyone else. The mature thing to do, at least in this ‘open forum’ which caters to many people across all spectrums, is to don’t talk, don’t reply to *anything* that Eric does or says.

Except that what Eric does is often against the spirit and rules of Lugnet not to mention against any sort of typical code of good behaviour. It is not mature to allow one person to ride slipshod over everyone else in order to provide for their feelings.

And it’s not mature to ride slipshod over someone’s feelings *now* because of stuff that he’s done *in the past*. Stuff, mind you, that has been resolved to the satisfaction of the admins (obviously ‘cause he can still post here). So who’s anyone *now* to say, ‘Hey, you were an idiot in the past so we can justify our poking fun at you now’. My personal belief is that no one has the right to ride slipshod over anyone elses feelings. Eric’s an arist (at least, I consider himself such) . I’ve known many artists that are as ‘high strung’ as Eric, and some even moreso. That does not mean that, as an ‘artist’, he’s exempt from any LUGNET rules or any LUGNETtian responsibilities to other LUGNETters. Rather, as an example to others (since some are inspired by his artistry), he should adhere to a ‘better standard’ (whether he does or not is entirely up to him and I won’t presume to judge if he’s doing just that or not). That said, I’ve seen no evidence lately that Eric’s been acting like a jackass. Rather, I see him supportive of the community (in his way).

If someone points out that his response to this latest issue was over-the-top ‘officiously litigious’, then they are focusing on the wrong part--the fact that it happened is the actual issue. How Eric responded to is is parenthetical. The fact is that someone pointedly ‘made fun’ of Erics efforts. Sounds like it’s well known that this type of ‘made fun of’ will usually provoke a response from Eric. So it was intentionally malicious. What kind of effort was that? To intentionally and maliciously provoke someone? I don’t care who it was directed at--who deserves that??? No one, in my books. I’ve sometimes untintentionally offended someone (even here on LUGNET) and I like to believe that, on finding out, made ammends to that person (I can’t remember at this point and I’m too lazy to find out--I’m sure someone would tell me if I’ve pissed them off)

So again, who’s acting immature and who’s acting mature here? Again, dredging up past transgressions isn’t relevant here--LUGNET officially doesn’t have a problem *now* with Eric. LUGNET is big enough for all of us. We don’t have to intentionally and maliciously ‘poke fun’ at people. If we want to have our jollies, I’m sure we can find that elsewhere, and with less effort, and without ‘riding slipshod’ over anyone’s feelings.

--snip--
   All this being said, I’m all for ‘fun’ at LUGNET.
--snip--

And Eric has managed to kill that fun for an awful lot of people. It isn’t one-sided and it isn’t solely Eric’s doing but the body of evidence is, as Soren said, that he is not better than this.

I’ve managed to have fun on LUGNET. Actually, I’ve managed to have fun with almost everything that has happened on LUGNET through the years, no matter ‘how bad’ it’s gotten (going right back to the ‘community policing’--total joy!) and I’ve never known Eric to infringe on the fun I’ve had here. Sometimes, dare I say, Eric, by his sheer presense of ‘artistic being’, has enhanced my time here. Rather than look at the guy’s faults and constantly bringing them up at every opportunity (and I’m not saying that he won’t say or do something to offend now or in the future) or poking at him whenever you can--would you guys let him up off the carpet, please?

Can we apply the ‘you are better than this’ expression to everyone involved? I’d like to think so.

   Dave K

Tim

Dave K