 Administrative / General / 13781
Re: Message indexing awry?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Tue, 28 Nov 2006 09:01:56 GMT

"Gereon "Jerry" Stein" <jerry@lugnet.com> wrote in message
news:J9FKBL.Bx9@lugnet.com...

René and I are actively discussing options here - however at this stage it
would
be far too early to promise anything. As it stands, Lugnet-posts are not
exactly
easy to maintain and even a members-only edit function would bear a couple
of
technical risks.

How about considering the current LUGNET system to be made into (I don't
know the exact word I'm after) an 'archive-read-only' system, and migrating
LUGNET to a new system which doesn't have the current problems of the old
system?

This is a lot easier to handle with BBS systems like phpbb or SMF (where I
do
prefer the latter for security reasons and ease of use), but such forum
platforms have the huge disadvantage of lacking any sort of non-web
interaction
(yes, they do send out digests to subscribers, but you can't easily
post-by-mail, or use NNTP for that matter).

How about looking into getting a GNU public domain forum software source and
compiling custom bits into it here and there?  I'm pretty sure it should be
possible to eliminate the problems with the current LUGNET setup.

I'm just as curious as all of you what the future may hold in technical
terms.

We need a list of the current problems, and of course, features, that LUGNET
has, and what new features it could have implemented - I'll start off with a
few features and problems I know LUGNET has:

1.  Feature:  NNTP posting authentication.
2.  Feature:  Ability to munge public email address.
3.  Problem:  No way to edit posts after they have been posted to the
newsgroup(s).
4.  Problem:  May cause posters in certain newsgroups that have mail
gateways to receive spam email containing copies of their recently-posted
messages to these mail gatewayed newsgroups if the mail gateway recipient(s)
have set vacation autoresponders on - which is generally considered a bad
thing to be doing anyway.

With point 4 there, I strongly believe that LUGNET should step up to the
challenge of storing and forwarding posts for the mail gateway recipients
*without* causing spam emails to get sent back to innocent posters who have
no ability to control what the recipient's machine is sending the original
message to, and which is in any case sending it to the incorrect place to be
dealt with.

Cheers ...

Geoffrey Hyde