 Administrative / General / 13357
Re: Lugnet: WAKE UP!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 31 Mar 2006 00:01:36 GMT

Now, I’m jumping in too :p

In lugnet.admin.general, Allister McLaren wrote:
   If by ‘Lugnet’ you mean the membership, then I have to disagree. The real problem here is the inablilty or the unwillingness of the so-called ‘leadership’ to deal with breaches of the TOS in an appropriate manner. If they’re not going to be enforced, why have them at all? Let’s just ditch them and make lugnet a free-for-all like Jlug. I’m all for that - it seems to be more or less the case anyway, let’s make it official.

I agree with what you say here. Part of the problem with Lugnet has been the lack of available consequences for breaching the TOS. The only “sticks” available are suspension or banning, which often seems a bit too harsh for the offense involved. (Not to mention, if an Admin isn’t around when the offense is committed, the ‘punishment’ might have to wait a few days, which also seems not-quite-right.)

Another part of the problem is Lugnet’s so-called committment to anti-censorship. It seems to me that one can’t have it both ways - either there is anti-censorship and no rules, or there are tight rules and (at least some) censorship.

But, I’m still hoping that quality leadership is brought back to Lugnet and we can see a renaissance.

-Lenny

PS. To Allister - I tend to agree with what you are saying, but have problems with how you say it. There is too much negativity for what you say to really be taken seriously - you seem as intent on hurting Eric as correcting his behavior.