 Administrative / General / 13067
Re: LUGNet shut off
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Tue, 19 Jul 2005 19:16:01 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Suzanne Rich Green wrote:
   In lugnet.build.mecha, Dave Schuler wrote:

   What will be, will be, of course. But I suspect that it will be more helpful to allow Suz to circulate her announcements here on LUGNET at her own pace.

   I am still struggling with the timing. I’m relieved that there has been no rush of panic!

I, for one, endorse immediate, full-blown hysteria. All this reasonable analysis misses a golden opportunity for us to run around like headless chickens.

   Here’s what I’m thinking at the moment... For my own sanity, it seems reasonable that a rough course of action be decided upon by Aug 1. That is to say, I’ll have listened to a whole bunch of people by then, asked questions, looked at data, etc. and should have a plan (which may or may not be the same one I held in hand when I wrote the blog entry quoted above). A “plan” will just mean that a clock starts counting down, and we all understand some guidelines for what sort of good news might stop the clock.

I apologize for my still not being sure about those two dates, but sixty-ish days seems like a reasonable amount of warning before a shutdown, yes?

IMO you’d be within your rights, even if it would ruffle some feathers, to say “I’ve had it! LUGNET will shut down at midnight until further notice.” You and I don’t really know each other, but I suspect that that course would be objectionable to you, and I applaud efforts to establish any timeframe or plan of action.

Two suggestions that might make things go more smoothly:

1. Sharply limit the number of Daves on LUGNET.
2. Clone-brands in every posting group!

Okay, at least one of those wasn’t a serious suggestion.

The last time my breath was this baited was when I ate that bucket of worms.

Dave!