 Administrative / General / 13011
Re: Website status and future plans
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 14 Jul 2005 15:51:04 GMT

Suz wrote:

Look for a major announcement tomorrow regarding LUGNET's future.

Having read your blog, and having had some insight "behind the screens" I'd
like to make the following comments and have some reactions on it, to see
if the community could make some new form of LUGNET possible.

The biggest value (IMHO) LUGNET has these days is the news groups. The
setlist is nice, but right now I'd say that Brickset and Peeron have got
that covered. Parts ref has been surpassed by Peeron and Bricklink.

As long as the news archive (or even a continuation of the news server, with
or without web interface) would continue to function I'd say the core of
LUGNET would be saved.

Truth be told, the rise of the LUG's in several ways was the start of
LUGNET's demise... before the LUG's with webboards LUGNET was the place to
communicate. However many people preferred their own little corner, causing
the chaos of today where we need to hunt dozens of sites for news instead
of opening our NNTP client once :(

Suzanne I can understand you wanting to quit LUGNET, ditto for Todd, it
seems apparent that your heart(s) isn't (aren't) into it anymore like it
once was. Thank you (BOTH!) for at least keeping it going until now, LUGNET
will always have a special place in my heart! I just hope we can save some
of the greatness that once was.

As for continueing LUGNET, if nobody else steps up I'd love to at least keep
the NNTP server in the air. Most (if not all) of the needed infrastructure
is already in place, it would just be a matter of importing the data and
perhaps reworking the web interface. But I hope a better solution is found
somehow somewhere... if needed I wouldn't mind helping out, perhaps my
Linux sysadmin skills could be of use.
--
Jan-Albert van Ree   | http://www.vanree.net/brickpiles/