 Administrative / General / 12625
Re: Compromised Functionality on Lugnet and Brickshelf?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sat, 16 Apr 2005 22:44:16 GMT

In lugnet.general, Shaun Sullivan wrote:
   Frustrated Comments Ahead:

Is there any summary information available to try and understand how some of the major AFOL resources are now being administered? Both Lugnet and Brickshelf seem to have undergone major practical changes in the last few weeks a months, many of which have seriously jeopardized their utility (in my opinion).

Brickshelf: Every day or two for the past three years I’ve gone to Brickshelf and scanned through the recent folders until I’ve reviewed any and all items that look interesting. This has always been easily accomplished because the ORDER of the galleries added to the “recent” pages has always been chronological. Unless a moderator is adding galleries while I happen to be reviewing them, the relative positions of the galleries on the “recent” pages remained static, a fact which allowed me to easily navigate back and forth, into and out of galleries, until I’d seen everything that piqued my interest. Now the “recent” pages seem to be randomly ordered – a fact which becomes painfully clear if you click “reload” or the “recent” link while on a page in the recent uploads area. The galleries all shuffle, making any sort of logical or progressive review all but impossible.

Is there any easily-accessible summary or explanation for either of these changes? Note that I’m not interested in sifting through long threads that have 200 or more posts to them, for I consider that quite inaccessible.

In any case, I find it a real shame that the functionality of these sites has been compromised so severely through these changes. I have no problem giving the respective administrators the benefit of the doubt and assuming that there was a rationale decision for these modifications, but I sincerely hope that the current state of affairs is only an interim step that leads back to a higher level of utility.

Shaun

I don’t know about LUGNET’s highlighting, but as for Brickshelf - when I hit reload/refresh, the only thing that seems to change is the “ad” that seems to be randomly placed amoung the folder spots. The folders’ order of appearance does not change, regardless if I hit refresh for my browser or hit “recent” on the Brickshelf navigation link.