 Administrative / General / 12430
Re: Email Harvesting from LUGNET sidebars
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 4 Mar 2005 05:36:01 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Kevin Salm wrote:
In lugnet.admin.general, Leonard Hoffman wrote:
I just wanted the Lugnet admin team to be aware.
I notice that several email addresses are now posted on the Admin sidebar pages.
Perhaps it would be best to add some spam-busting features [1] to those
addresses unless everyone listed is okay with receiving even more SPAM email
than they already receive.

Thanks Kevin Salm,
I just updated them with the SPAM block.  Do you know if the spam block I used
should he sufficient, or should I randomize it more?

-Lenny

Your change should work well enough.  Being that you have used plain text rather
than linkable mailto: HTML is good, too.  I think that is the one major change I
need to make to my email address on the .market sidebars.

I don't know anything about email address harvesting, but I would guess that
plain text email addresses are NOT subject to automated harvesting as those
coded with html.

Don't be so sure. Many harvesters look for "@" and surrounding text to see if it
looks like an email address. And still others just look for the words "at" and
"dot" in close proximity. Don't underestimate the cunning of people willing to
piss you off.

ROSCO