 Administrative / General / 11891
11890  |  11892
Subject:
Some facts about current events and a small opinion
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 17 Sep 2004 19:04:04 GMT

Based on www.dictionary.com - here are definitions to some words that have
come up in current discussions.  I place them here so people will understand
the black and white facts as given to us by references we (all?) trust.

Gay - http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=gay
adjective: Of, relating to, or having a sexual orientation to persons of the
same sex.
noun: A person whose sexual orientation is to persons of the same sex.

Lesbian - http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=lesbian
adjective: Of, relating to, or being a lesbian. See Usage Note at gay.
noun: A woman whose sexual orientation is to women.

Bisexual - http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=bisexual
adjective: Of, relating to, or having a sexual orientation to persons of
either sex.
noun: A bisexual person.

Transgendered - http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=transgendered
adjective: Appearing as, wishing to be considered as, or having undergone
surgery to become a member the opposite sex.

Sexual - http://dictionary.reference.com/search?r=2&q=sexual
adjective:
  1.. Of, relating to, involving, or characteristic of sex, sexuality, the
sexes, or the sex organs and their functions.
  2.. Implying or symbolizing erotic desires or activity.

Sexual Orientation -
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=sexual%20orientation
noun: The direction of one's sexual interest toward members of the same,
opposite, or both sexes.
Lugnet is NOT an online community for AFOLs so there are children who read
the forums too.  There is one caveat in the TOS which points this out:
http://www.lugnet.com/admin/terms/agreement -

"LUGNET and its owners and/or operators do not control or censor content in
discussion groups. The LUGNET discussion group server is provided as a
"store and forward" mechanism "as is" without filters, which means that you
may encounter material which you find offensive. IT IS YOUR SOLE AND
INDIVIDUAL RESPONSIBILITY TO MONITOR OR FILTER CONTENT TO A LEVEL
APPROPRIATE TO YOURSELF AND/OR YOUR FAMILY. If you are under 18 years of
age, ask your parent(s) or guardian(s) for permission and/or supervision
before using this service and make sure they have read and understood this
Terms of Use document."

...And there are terms and conditions for posting etiquette:
http://www.lugnet.com/admin/terms/agreement

"(do not) Post or transmit any unlawful, threatening, abusive, libelous,
defamatory, obscene, vulgar, pornographic, profane, or indecent information
of any kind, including without limitation any transmissions constituting or
encouraging conduct that would constitute a criminal offense, give rise to
civil liability, or otherwise violate any local, state, national, or
international law."

---------------------------------

More definitions:

indecent - http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=indecent
adjective:
  1.. Offensive to good taste; unseemly.
  2.. Offensive to public moral values; immodest. See Synonyms at improper.
obscene - http://dictionary.reference.com/search?r=2&q=obscene
adjective:
  1.. Offensive to accepted standards of decency or modesty.
  2.. Inciting lustful feelings; lewd.
pornographic - http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=pornographic
adjective:
  1.. Sexually explicit pictures, writing, or other material whose primary
purpose is to cause sexual arousal.
  2.. The presentation or production of this material.
---------------------------------

I would imagine that IF some people wanted to make a LEGO users group
(offsite from lugnet) for GLBT and then ask for a newsgroup here on lugnet
(lugnet.org.glbt), they would probably get it as long as posts abided by the
TOS.  But by the definitions above, the very WORDS (gay, lesbian, bisexual,
and trangendered) imply a sexual connotation and WILL be misconstrued by
many readers and many readers' parents.

Please also keep in mind that (and this has ALSO been run into the ground -
even by me) by being granted a glbt newsgroup on lugnet, you will force
actions for others to request (and have granted) groups for heterosexuals,
straights, homophobics, and abstinents.  Why?  Just as the same reason you
want a group where your ideology is recognized and not questioned, other
people have that same right.  They can't fathom or understand your views,
and you can't fathom or understand theirs. So there will be separation.

Rob Hendrix