 Administrative / General / 11888
Re: Lavender Brick Society
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 17 Sep 2004 16:44:24 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Frank Filz wrote:

"Jocke" <terje029SPAMBLOCK@xpress.se> wrote in message

"Anders Isaksson" <isaksson.etuna@REMOVEtelia.com> wrote in message
Jocke wrote:
Is there any difference in beeing interested in Lego depending on your
sexual orientation?
How about a subgroup for communists, I bet they are in minority...

I'd say being left-handed has a greater significance for your Lego
building...

I´m in luck then, becuase I am "dual handed" =)

One thing I'm of a mind to point out is that this sort of marginalizing is
perhaps just why a group might be necessary. I'm trying hard to think of any
of the subgroups that anyone has mentioned that so automatically raise
complaints about "why do you need to identify yourself in this group, can't
we all just be people?" But if you say "I'm a Pepsi drinker" no one tries to
diminish that. If you say "I'm married" people don't try and diminish that
(in fact, they may ask "Do you have any kids"). If someone says "I'm gay"
people say "Why did you need to tell me that? I don't care and don't what to
know about what you do in bed." But wouldn't that response actually be
(somewhat) more reasonable to ask of the married person?

People profess to want to let gays just be. But they also want to pass laws
preventing them from just being.

Frank

'Marginalizing' someone's viewpoint with wit and banter?

Yeah that doesn't happen in any other group--

Hey Anthony, read any good things from Toronto lately? ;)

Lets see what happens when I mention that I love Star Trek, Bab 5, and LEGO all
in the same breath amongst peers at work.

And if some LEGO buddy tells me that they're getting married, I'd tell them to
run, run now, run fast...

Sure in this days society everyday banter about homosexuality is not exactly
commonplace.  Probably due to the fact that it takes society some time to play
'catch-up'.  moreover, like many things in life that have the potential of
getting misconstrued--"Wendy, that's a lovely sweater you're wearing today..."
"That's harrassment!", some people resort to the 'walk on egg-shells'.  Me, not
so much.

I'm still ambidexterous where my favourite hobby is concerned.  Now go ahead,
make fun of my Star Trek fondness...

Dave K