 Administrative / General / 11887
Re: Lavender Brick Society
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 17 Sep 2004 16:32:06 GMT

"Frank Filz" <ffilz-lists@mindspring.com> wrote in message
news:I471EM.1IKr@lugnet.com...

One thing I'm of a mind to point out is that this sort of marginalizing is
perhaps just why a group might be necessary. I'm trying hard to think of • any
of the subgroups that anyone has mentioned that so automatically raise
complaints about "why do you need to identify yourself in this group, • can't
we all just be people?" But if you say "I'm a Pepsi drinker" no one tries • to
diminish that. If you say "I'm married" people don't try and diminish that
(in fact, they may ask "Do you have any kids"). If someone says "I'm gay"
people say "Why did you need to tell me that? I don't care and don't what • to
know about what you do in bed." But wouldn't that response actually be
(somewhat) more reasonable to ask of the married person?

People profess to want to let gays just be. But they also want to pass • laws
preventing them from just being.

Frank

You have a good point, but I would find it strange if you told me that you
were married, and the conversation was about a whole different subject.

-"Nice MOC you have there."
-"Yes, I am married"

??

Or:

-"I have a lot of Lego at home."
-"Me to, and I also like Pepsi a lot."

???

Somehow, it feels like it does not fit in the conversation.

This one on the other hand:

-"I like Lego a lot."
-"Me to, and I also like Megabloks."

If someone is gay is not of any interest to me, and I really do not want to
know. I do not want to know if someone is married or not either. Maybe if I
was interested in a person in a non-Lego point of view.

If I want to know, I would ask. One does not present him/heself with the
phrase: "Hi, I am gay/lesbian/communist/Pepsiholic or something else. Maybe
you would do it in other related communities.

In here, we all are Lego enthusiasts and maybe
gay/lesbian/communists/Pepsiholics to. But, who cares really? This is about
Lego. Personal stuff other than Lego fits in the "people" group, to my point
of view.

/J