 Administrative / General / 11692
Re: Link syntax problem in news readers
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Mon, 28 Jun 2004 15:18:53 GMT

I have problems everyday with clickable items in my newsreader for NNTP
(Outlook Express 6).  If the people who post their MOC's link would put a
space between the link and the thumbnail, it would solve 1 problem.

On a seperate note, Lar, the "raw" text you submitted showed up like this in
my newsreader:

<FONT FACE="Verdana" SIZE="-1">I&#146;d like to proudly introduce the <B><A
HREF="http://www.lugnet.com/jump.cgi?http://www.lprize.com">L PRIZE</A></B>.

Now, that gives an error when I click on it and is a prime example of what
referred to earlier.
The part that goes in the browser window after you click on it is:

http://www.lugnet.com/jump.cgi?http://www.lprize.com">L

and gives an error..  Here is another recent example (hijacked from the
.sapce thread...):

<http://www.mocpages.com/moc.php/4438>http://www.mocpages.com/moc.php/4438

Another browser error, but if you separate the two entities, you get:

<http://www.mocpages.com/moc.php/4438> http://www.mocpages.com/moc.php/4438

That should work...  I thought someone was trying to impliment some code to
automatically fix this err when someone posts...

Rob

"Larry Pieniazek" <larry.(mylastname)@ascentialsoftwareDOTcom> wrote in
message news:I00vzx.10JM@lugnet.com...
In lugnet.admin.general, Thomas Main wrote:
Is the problem of FTX formatted links not working properly in news • readers still
being worked on?

I found this post about it from last year:

http://news.lugnet.com/admin/suggestions/?n=770

I am still having to edit urls in my web browser after clicking on them • from my
news reader and have been doing so for the last year, at least.

A recent example is Tim Courtney's LPRIZE announcement:

I'd like to proudly introduce the [<http://www.lprize.com L PRIZE>].

That one works fine for me in IE6. I don't recall anyone posting • screenshots as
Todd suggested in the thread you referenced, so perhaps it fell off Todd's
radar?

The underlying HTML (that I see via View Source from web view) is as • follows:

<FONT FACE="Verdana" SIZE="-1">I&#146;d like to proudly introduce the • <B><A
HREF="http://www.lugnet.com/jump.cgi?http://www.lprize.com">L • PRIZE</A></B>.

The raw text is claimed to be

" I'd like to proudly introduce the [<http://www.lprize.com L PRIZE>]."

I would think this should work right, but I'm out of touch with • newsreaders.

This shows up as one long url in my news reader (Mozilla Mail/News 1.4) • which I
then have to edit in order to remove the "L PRIZE" portion so that my • browser
accepts the link as correct.

Any help for those who have continually had this problem?

The flippant answer (not the right answer, mind you) is to change • browsers.
Seriously though, is there any chance that your browser IS broken? I have • no
idea, but like I said, at first blush that HTML seems OK to me.

Perhaps you could supply some screenshots in response to Todd's request • for
samples of the problem?