 Administrative / General / 11691
Re: Link syntax problem in news readers
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Mon, 28 Jun 2004 14:23:57 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Thomas Main wrote:
Is the problem of FTX formatted links not working properly in news readers still
being worked on?

I found this post about it from last year:

http://news.lugnet.com/admin/suggestions/?n=770

I am still having to edit urls in my web browser after clicking on them from my
news reader and have been doing so for the last year, at least.

A recent example is Tim Courtney's LPRIZE announcement:

I'd like to proudly introduce the [<http://www.lprize.com L PRIZE>].

That one works fine for me in IE6. I don't recall anyone posting screenshots as
Todd suggested in the thread you referenced, so perhaps it fell off Todd's
radar?

The underlying HTML (that I see via View Source from web view) is as follows:

<FONT FACE="Verdana" SIZE="-1">I&#146;d like to proudly introduce the <B><A
HREF="http://www.lugnet.com/jump.cgi?http://www.lprize.com">L PRIZE</A></B>.

The raw text is claimed to be

" I'd like to proudly introduce the [<http://www.lprize.com L PRIZE>]."

I would think this should work right, but I'm out of touch with newsreaders.

This shows up as one long url in my news reader (Mozilla Mail/News 1.4) which I
then have to edit in order to remove the "L PRIZE" portion so that my browser
accepts the link as correct.

Any help for those who have continually had this problem?

The flippant answer (not the right answer, mind you) is to change browsers.
Seriously though, is there any chance that your browser IS broken? I have no
idea, but like I said, at first blush that HTML seems OK to me.

Perhaps you could supply some screenshots in response to Todd's request for
samples of the problem?