 Administrative / General / 1144
Re: Todd: Urgent message: Use of the term LUGNET(tm) on a shirt.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.general, lugnet.loc.us.ca.sd
Date:
Sun, 14 Mar 1999 18:19:10 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, lar@voyager.net (Larry Pieniazek) writes:
[...] However there is a time urgent message in your inbox relating
to the Tshirts being done for LL opening day. [...]
Here is the message repeated in its entiriety (from 5 March):

Bummer, I didn't see this message earlier and I can't it anywhere in any
of my accounts.  I'll respond to the copy you just posted.  If you still
have a copy of the e-mail in your outbox, could you try forwarding it to
me again with all of its original SMTP headers?

Lugnet, the word, is your trademark. John Neal would like a bit of
clarification before he does the masks for the tee-shirts I'll be taking
to Carlsbad, and his email is currently broke. <it's fixed now -L>

Please, if you would, answer these questions specifically with a yes or
no. No explanation of position is required, just the yes or no. Note
specifically that we are NOT discussing any logos... only words.

Q1: First, can we make shirts with the phrase "I read Lugnet(tm)" ( (tm)
means TM superscripted in Arial in a font height of about 1/3 to 1/4 the
main font) at all?

Yes, it's OK -- you're making a commentary sentence which is written in
the first person and doesn't appear to have been created or endorsed by
LUGNET's owners/operators.  Legally, I don't think we could stop anyone
from using the mark in such a way, nor do we have any inherent problem
with the use of it in such a way (only potentially in the way it is used
in proximity to other things, and little details like the capitalization).

I have seen the shirts, they are very high quality
for a basic cotton Tee, as good as Hanes BeefyTees. John's screening
technology is about as good as you can get for small lot runs and he is
a careful worker. I have seen a lot of his work now and never a single
flaw or misprint.

Neat-o!

Q1a: Do you want it as Lugnet(tm) or as LUGNET(tm) ??

LUGNET -- all caps.

(It's OK to write lugnet or Lugnet in news articles or casual conversation
because it's clear what you're talking about in the context, and typing
all caps is a PITA sometimes.  Anything outside of news & e-mail --
anything "publishing" related, like clothing or web pages -- then all caps
is the way to go, to respect the fact that it is a trademark.)

Q2: Do you have a font preference?

Futura Book is what we use on the www.lugnet.com homepage.  But Arial or
some other light-weight sans-serif typeface that matches reasonably
closely would be fine too.  Again, you're not printing the logo, but an
English sentence commenting on your usage of a system.  Any face that
looks good and is readable oughtta do just fine.

Do you have a font requirement?

No.

We
are leaning toward a slightly serifed smooth rounded font (I can send
you a PDF that has samples). I don't know the name but it is somewhat
like script. It is not a blocky font like Arial. If you have a font
requirement, what is it?

Assuming the answer is yes in some permutation to Q1 and we have access
to the font, if any, that you prefer or require in Q2:

Q3: What is your position on "Adult Fan of Lego(r)". ( (r) is the circle
R reg trademark symbol superscripted) Will you allow that phrase and  "I
read Lugnet(tm) "  on the same side of the same shirt?

We'd rather not see AFOL or "Adult Fan of LEGO" associated with LUGNET in
any way.  While it is true that LUGNET currently happens to be frequented
primarily by adults, this will not always be the case, and we don't want
to build that association.

By design, the site currently appeals to adults much more than to
children, and this is a necessary seeding stage, to set the tone and
minimize the overhead of tech-support (kids have no end to questions).
Later, we'll focus more on the younger crowd.  3-5 years down the road,
we'll be looking at very large number of users aged 12 and under.  Of
course, kids won't participate much in commerce or newsgroup discussions
or many of the things that adults do, but there are infinite possibilities
later for fun things to do that will appeal to kids of all ages.

On different sides of the same shirt? Note well we will NOT use AFOL,
too exclusionary.

Same problem as same-side of shirt (creates unwanted association), but
thanks for asking.

Q4: What is your position on "I read RTL" Will you allow that phrase and
"I read Lugnet(tm)" on the same side of the same shirt?

No problem.

On different sides of the same shirt?

No problem.

Note that we intend to sell these shirts for a price that is slightly
higher than cost recovery, if everything works out, me and my kids end
up with free shirts. so we're not talking big money here. Color will be
brick red, or very very close.

Do you want per shirt royalties for use of "I read LUGNET(tm)"?

In text form, without the logo, no.

We had
discussed a nominal licensing fee week before last.

That was for the logo, I think.  Give us more time on that.  We're making
a prototype mousepad for starters, to raise our awareness on things like
this.  We'll contract with a company to produce a bunch, and ship 'em out
ourselves, and from there we'll be able to landscape better.

I know this is pushing you a bit faster than you wanted to decide stuff,
but I REALLY want to have the shirts mention LUGNET to build brand
awareness, rather than just RTL... and I have to have them made by next
week or tuesday after that at the very latest.

Also, what about the same questions for cards. I intend to make up some
business cards with some info on them to hand out to folks that ask
questions. In this case lots of stuff would be packed on one card.

I don't see a problem with AFOL or "Adult Fan of LEGO" appearing on the
same card as "I read LUGNET" so long as there is lots of other stuff on
the card.  In other words, so long as someone doesn't read the card and
think that LUGNET is for adults, then I don't see a problem with it.

Note that my kids will be wearing a shirt that says

"My dad has more LEGO(r) than your dad" on the front, and "Leg Godt" or
else "plays well with LEGO(R)" on the back, we haven't decided which.
Color will be brick blue or very very close.

LOL on the "Plays well with LEGO."  :)

--Todd