 Administrative / General / 1118
Re: Question: Are reviews of non-LEGO (such as Mega Blocks) sets of interest?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Wed, 3 Mar 1999 10:38:10 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, markt@lynx.bc.ca (Mark Tarrabain) writes:
[...]

What we don't want to happen is the .reviews group being used to review
individual sets from clone brands like Mega-Bloks, Best-Lock, etc.  (Blyecch,
poison!)

I don't think this would happen anyways, for a number of reasons, as I will
mention below.

In January someone posted a review of a Best-Lock set using Joshua Delahunty's
LEGO® set review form:

   http://www.lugnet.com/news/display.cgi?lugnet.loc.us.ca.sf:60

Seems logical to me that if someone thought it was OK to use the LEGO® set
review form for non-LEGO® building sets, they might also think it was OK to
post the review in the .reviews group.

[...]

Which brings us to the first reason that I would expect that the existing reviews
group would never deteriorate as you described, since most of the people who are
lego fans tend to avoid clones.

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "deteriorate" -- whether you mean that
the threshold is 1% or 5% or 15% or 50% of postings -- but to me, even a
single non-LEGO® review poisons the group, and I think most people being
either purists or brand-loyalists would agree with that.

Another reason is that quite frankly, the clones'
sets are not diversified enough to warrant a substantial number of different
reviews.

(Ahem :)  I think that's debatable.  Looking at the Best-Lock website, their
product line is rather impressive -- (wouldn't you agree?) -- they have over
100 different sets spanning everything from town to space to NASA to pirates
to castle to military and more.  It's still obviously an imitation brand, and
it still looks "cheap" upon careful inspection, but it definitely looks a lot
less cheap than other imitation brands such as Mega-Bloks, etc.  I can easily
imagine casual LEGO® enthusiasts going for these things and wanting to talk
about them.  Which is what worries me.

--Todd

p.s.  Best-Lock is at  http://www.best-lock.com/  and I'm giving the URL only
for the purposes of this meta-discussion.