 Administrative / General / 11076
Re: Policy for posting in lugnet.announce
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 12 Sep 2003 14:45:43 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Dan Boger wrote:
   In lugnet.admin.general, David Schilling wrote:
   I wonder what the reason for this is? I would very much like to know when they are putting on their robot competitions. I’m sure that others are interested in when they have their train shows. They’re own group has so much traffic that it takes real effort to find such announcements there.

I really hate to say this, but I think it was my fault. I think I was on some weird policing kick, trying to limit posts to the .announce group. I have no idea what I was thinking, but trust me, I see the error of my ways now.

Not that my say means anything, but if it were up to me, I’d say that the RTL announcements defenitely belong in .announce.

So if it was my fault that the RTL guys feel shunned from .announce, please accept my apology.

I think one of the reasons Dan (and others; it’s not all his fault) spent a bunch of time trying to limit the scope of .announce posts was becuase for a while, it was getting used for any old thing, and those of us getting .annouce by e-mail were starting to look at it a little bit like spam.

‘RTL Toronto is having a show on XX day’ is a worthwhile announcement; ‘my website has a new background’ isn’t. A lot of that volume of non-announcement stuff now has .announce.moc to go in, so the group isn’t seeing nearly as much abuse as it once was. Part of the “problem”, I suspect, is that posts made to .announce get an automatic boost to their rating, and it’s easier for something in .announce to make it onto the top posts list.

James