 Administrative / General / 10859
Re: New World LUG Map demo
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 27 Mar 2003 17:59:30 GMT

One thing I liked about the old approach was that the "areas of influence"
of clubs could be arbitrary geometry.

Me too.  Although that approach certainly has its downsides in cases like
NELUG, which officially covers a 5-state area but 99% of the activity
occurs within 20 miles of Boston.  I think the arbitrary geometry approach
really works great in cases like FreeLUG (France), FGLTC (Germany), and
TasLUG (Tasmania), which have fairly clear boundaries, and I do need to
implement that.

There is no circle center and diameter that will include all of certain
club's areas of influence while not incorrectly including areas that are
better served by other clubs.

Ya, what I want to do is define a secondary (optional) polygon for any
target object.  This secondary polygon would be used as a clipping region
against the main circle, and then render the filled circle as a radial
gradient.  Thus, three cases would naturally emerge:

1.  Small circle with infinite clipping polygon:  This would be used for
many city-based groups/clubs, for example LUGOLA (Los Angeles, U.S.) and
Studs (Sydney, Australia).  The closer you are to the epicenter, the higher
the opacity.

2.  Large circle with small clipping polygon:  This would be used for many
area-based groups/clubs, for example NELUG (Boston/New England), GardenSLUG
(New Jersey, U.S.), and TennLUG (Tennessee, U.S.).  In this case, the entire
clipping polygon (e.g., New England, New Jersey, Tennessee) would be filled
with color, but the epicenter(s) would be stronger opacity.

3.  Infinite circle with small clipping polygon:  This would be used in cases
where there are clear political or administratives boundaries (e.g., France,
Australia, Japan) with no obvious center.

And I'll probably use the coastline polygons to clip the circles so that they
don't extend into the ocean anymore.  :-)

Is there a future plan to use arbitrary geometry?

Definitely, yes.  It's just a SMOP and a SMADE.  Sorry I forgot to note this
last night on my to-do list.  I was getting pretty bleary-eyed by 3am and
wanted to go to bed and rushed the post.

--Todd