 Administrative / General / 10857
Re: New World LUG Map demo
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 27 Mar 2003 17:34:12 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Lars Gjerløw Jørgensen writes:
Very cool  :)  although it is a bit heavy on my old bucket (300 MHz-computer
sucks!)

A few things are contributing to this...  First, the big demo page is loading
eight maps simultaneously, each of which consist of thousands of points within
hundreds of polygons.  It would be a lot faster if the demo page were broken
into smaller chunks.  The real final map won't be such a huge page.  :)

Second, the algorithm I'm using to simplify polygons at wider views could/
should be replaced with a smarter one that makes the datasets even smaller.
It's not being very smart at the moment about clipping the global coastline
polygon outside the viewport, for example.

Third, the larger maps are each about 100 KB of data to transfer, so if
you're on a modem it could take 15-20 seconds just to fetch the data file
before displaying it.  On the other hand, your browser probably renders the
image while downloading.  I'm hoping to squeeze the main world view down to
50KB or even possibly 25KB.

Too bad there are no LUG's here in Denmark  :(

That's surprising, isn't it?!  You could start one, though!  :)

--Todd