 Administrative / General / 10553
10552  |  10554
Special:
[DAT] (requires LDraw-compatible viewer)
Re: bug in polls?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 15 Aug 2002 22:59:01 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Frank Filz writes:
Ranking polls say you can give two choices the same number, but reject
such ballots.

It really should have a better error message, but I think it's working
correctly to the spirit behind what it wants to let you do, albeit poorly
explained in the
text above.

It wants to let you use the same number in the case of ties -- for example if
your top two choices are tied for first place.  In that case, it wants you to
skip second place and continue at third place, e.g.:

   1 1 3 4 5

So it'll let you do any of these (for example):

   1 1 3 4 5
   1 2 2 4 5
   1 2 3 4 4
   1 2 3 3 3

but not any of these:

   1 1 1 2 3        (should be 1 1 1 4 5)
   2 3 4 5 5        (missing 1)
   1 2 2 3 4        (should be 1 2 2 4 5)

I suppose I could have it automatically shift down the numbers in the cases
of ties, so that

   1 1 1 2 3

would automatically become

   1 1 1 4 5