 Administrative / General / 10419
Re: SPAM from Lugnet
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 23 May 2002 15:56:59 GMT

My copy had a *.bat file attached. Didn't investigate the headers due to
fear of viruses...

Eric
"Dan Boger" <dan@peeron.com> wrote in message news:Gvp2Ew.2py@lugnet.com...
In lugnet.admin.general, Ben Roller writes:
So it seems that someone in Australia originated the message.  I'll • complain
to their ISP to try to stop them from spamming again, but felt that I • needed
to let Lugnet know that we have a security problem.   Did anyone else get
this message?

yah, I got it, and reported it promptly to spamcop...

Do we need to do a sign-in to view email addresses like eBay?

while I'd like to do that, I'm not sure we can...  are we ready to say to
random web users "you can post, but you can't see who you're replying to"?
guess the email is only needed if you want to contact someone directly, • not
through the newsgroups...  and of course, anyone using SMTP/NNTP will • always
get the full emails of everyone...

Dan