 Administrative / General / 10339
Re: Crossposting FAQ, why, when and how to crosspost
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 15 Mar 2002 18:35:58 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Fredrik Glöckner writes:
"Larry Pieniazek" <lpieniazek@mercator.com> writes:

What do others think?

I think your FAQ draft is very nicely done.  But do you think anybody
will read it?  After some years of experience with various "message
boards", I don't think most people read FAQs.  I think they learn by
doing (wrong).

You are correct, and what I plan to use it for in large part is to write
shorter posts "after the fact" when giving guidance. Instead of explaining
the whole thing all over again, I'll just say "multiple posting is not the
best approach, consider crossposting instead, here's the link to all the
info on it" which will be faster, and more consistent too.

However the post as written isn't complete technically, and the FAQ entry,
while much improved, doesn't give as much guidance as the post did. So I may
end up writing *another* version when i have time, posting that and then
remembering the link to IT, as pointing the person who made the mistake at
the FAQ entry isn't going to cut it. (nor is pointing them at the TOC
either, that's too general and not as gentle).