 Administrative / General / 10217
Re: Newish Idea for LUGNET [was Re: TLC sends people to www.brickself.com]
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.database, lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 22 Feb 2002 18:00:35 GMT

In lugnet.admin.database, Thomas Garrison writes:
[snip post http://news.lugnet.com/admin/database/?n=1386]

Thomas, thanks for your comments! My propper reply will take longer than I
have right now, but I just want to leave a few facts w/you, regarding the db..

-
There are admin notes in the set database that users don't see. Some entries
have comments like the ones you're describing (sources, quality pic needs,
loc of alt pics to scan, etc).
-
the LUGNET server has saved any pictures ever uploaded to represent a set.
This means that in some cases, we have many pics for a single set.
Unfortunately, we don't have a nice utility for browsing through those to
select the best/most appropriate ones, or remove duplicates and bad quality
scans. This is something we need!
-
At the beginning of the db project, Todd wanted the front of instructs to be
the ideal representation pics (like in the Fibblesnork LEGO guide). Later,
Brickshelf became a hefty source of those. In recent years, Jenn Boger has
gone through Brickshelf instruct scans and inserted a gazillion of those
where appropriate, often cleaning up the image files as she went. It's been
my feeling however, that the LUGNET guide should supply -different- imagery
than other sources. I personally like the set box pic and a setup shot
(pref. those on TLC's annual CD). The db was always hoped to have 2 or more
pics per set, including back of box. For a while now, any set pics I scan
are box fronts. I like the fact that they prove the pc count, among other
things..
-
I'd really like to avoid having any more people w/access to alter the set
data. Currently there are 6 of us who work on it.
-
The db needs a major overhaul in its skeletal structure before anything else
(IMHO). Something fuzzier. Keywords too, for searching, and other stuff. If
we can work in users' db help comments/data, we will, I believe. Currently,
members put data corrections in their set comments, which unfortunately, we
(or, I at least) don't have a quick way to scan through. It was never
intended for that purpose.

IMO, we should at *least* put a link on each set page to e-mail db@lugnet,
saying "if you have more info about this set or a correction to report..."
or somesuch.

sorry for babbling.. Much more later, I hope.

-Suz