 Administrative / Database / 1396
Re: Newish Idea for LUGNET [was Re: TLC sends people to www.brickself.com]
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.database, lugnet.publish
Date:
Wed, 6 Mar 2002 19:48:09 GMT

In lugnet.admin.database, Kyle Beatty writes:
In lugnet.admin.general, Suzanne D. Rich writes:
In lugnet.admin.database, Thomas Garrison writes:
[snip post http://news.lugnet.com/admin/database/?n=1386] • [snip]
... than other sources. I personally like the set box pic and a setup
shot (pref. those on TLC's annual CD).
-Suz

Annual CD? That sounds nifty! I'm assuming that is not a product, but a
tool for Lego and their distro's use.
-Kyle

Right, it's not a product. It's a CD set of official source imagery for a
year's products. I don't know what the official deal is with it. They seem
like a fairly standard art-department archive for internal distribution.

I believe they're impossible for even a toy store to get. Maybe Wal-Mart or
TRU can get them for their store flyers.. I dunno. I really should try
harder to borrow some for our set database... (dreaming)

I've only used one LEGO DACTA CD set. The disks contained high resolution
scans of medium format film positives from photoshoots of the models,
against plain backgrounds. Some scenes were intended for vertical
presentation, some horizontal. There were a few cute narative close ups, and
logos for packaging and advertising. Many images were saved as EPS files
with clipping paths included. Such paths help a designer to place the models
on different backgrounds - kinda like a blue-screen in movie production.

If you study TLC's Mania magazine, S@H catalog, the retailer and consumer
catalogs, the official website, set instructions, box fronts, etc, you may
have noticed the same shot getting different treatments. I find it
interesting. Sometimes a picture will appear horizontally flopped for a
better overall layout, causing some text to read backwards. Rarely, a
clipping path will be flawed and a bizare image artifact will result. I
noticed a few of those in the latest S@H catalog.

There are a small number of pics in the LUGNET Set Database which came from
the above-mentioned source. Here are a few:
    http://guide.lugnet.com/set/9380
    http://guide.lugnet.com/set/9137

-Suz