 Administrative / Database / 651
Re: Interesting classic space items over on eBay
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space, lugnet.admin.database
Date:
Tue, 14 Mar 2000 17:28:43 GMT

In lugnet.space, Dave Lovelace writes:
Mine all say 1978, too, but this makes no sense, given the yellow Spacemen
figures (just won this one last night!  Finally got 'em all!  YES!!!).
Perhaps it is the Legoland logo iteself which is copyrighted 1978.

Ahhh -- good point!  The yellow space minifigs must've travelled through time
or been part of some space-time continuum disruption.  :)

As for
the manufacturing of these cards, it couldn't possibly have been before
1982...but then, there's no way to know exactly when.

Oh, sure they could've been manufactured before 1982.  It wouldn't suprise me
at all if LEGO had had yellow minifigs in the plan back in 1978.  But the
copyright date is different from the manufacturing date.  The copyright date
tells what year the artwork was produced.  But these probably weren't released
until 1982'ish and probably weren't printed until (guessing) 1981'ish...

I wish there were a way to learn more!  Here's a good example of where the
copyright date needs to be a separate field from the release date.  :)

BTW, people have pointed out examples of late 1990's sticker sheets which were
copyrighted ~3 years earlier than the release of the set itself -- LEGO plans
way ahead!

--Todd