 Administrative / Database / 581
Re: what makes a train set a set?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.database
Date:
Mon, 14 Feb 2000 01:14:27 GMT

Larry Pieniazek wrote in message <38A72E70.4AD987FB@voyager.net>...
Let's get Joshua to comment, but for now.... I'll put my oar in anyway.

Todd Lehman wrote:

I didn't lay out the sub-categories for the train stuff so I'm • speculating
here, but I'm thinkin' that prolly what Joshua meant by "train cars" was
"sets where the main model has wheels that go on train tracks"...?  (As
opposed to sets which are mainly, say, a "base" on the ground.)

That definition ("has trainwheels") matches all three of the categories
cars, locos, and train sets. So I don't think that's it.

I believe 3225 is the only set across ALL of 4.5, 12 and 9V that is in
subcat cars but has a motor. Were it moved to locomotives, it would be
the only set that had cars or subunits not an integral part of the
locomotive (some steamers have unpowered tenders, but that steamer in
real life is an integral part... the steamer ain't going far without the
tender... croc has unpowered articulation parts (the noses) but again,
an integral part of the loco).

Therefore it's neither a car or a loco. Must be a set. Also it fits the
MR definition of what a train set is.

One difficulty is having only a single category. Ultimately, what is needed
is to be able to have a set of keywords for each set. In this case, 3225
might have the following keywords:

- train set
- passenger car
- coach
- locomotive
- engine
- steam
- switcher
- shunter (for those Brits)
- freight
- gondola
- dump car
- hopper
- caboose
- 9V (I think this should be a keyword, not a subdivision of the theme)

Some of the above aren't entirely accurate (esp. caboose) but should be
included for ease of searching. Depending on how detailed one gets, there
might be additional things to be included.

Given the current scheme which gives one category, 3225 should definitely be
a "train set".

TLC has now made 3 MOW vehicles in the 9V line, and they're all
hirailers. MOW is more of a nitpicky category suggestion just to allow
me to be a pain... (A hirailer is something that has road wheels AND
rail wheels so it can travel in both mediums)

Um, wouldn't you also include 4533 and 4552 as MOW sets also?

Probably for a simplified system, the hi-railers should be classified as
"train cars", though they also all represent self powered vehicles so from
that perspective they should in some ways be "locomotives". They do all
appear to have couplers. I guess I'd still settle for "train cars" in a
simplified scheme since they don't actually have a motor, so are not self
powered models.

Calling those 3 sets  AND any future hirailers MOW would be wrong. Some
Hirailers (the Whitcomb TrackMobile for example, which is a road capable
tiny switcher that has enough power to move a railcar or two but can
hustle around an industrial site on its road wheels) are not MOW.

Setting up a highrailer cat would also be potentially wrong because
there are MOW things that are not highrailers (for example a Jordan
Spreader has no road wheels but exists purely to move ballast around
which is about as MOW as you can get).

Of course if we have multiple keywords, these vehicles should all have both
hi-railer and MOW (and perhaps still train car). 4533 and 4552 would have
MOW and train car.

I would rename
Accessory Track to Track. What is Accessory telling you that you didn't
already know in this instance?

Hmm, not sure, other than that it helps identify it as an accessory pack
as opposed to a mainstream set...?

What does this mean? 4515 comes in a set box. What makes a set
"mainstream"? None of the train sets are mainstream, really...  :-)

I wonder if there is value in segregating stuff by whether it comes in a
service pack or not... the track, the power pack come in set boxes. Most
of the rest of the accessory stuff does not. So maybe sort the current
track, accesssories and accessory elements into "Accessories" (track,
the controller, any other accessory such as lamps and signals, etc. but
require that it come in a set box) and "Service Packs" which is anything
that comes in a service badged packaging. This probably more closely
mirrors how TLC thinks/thought about it.

I would think that one would want all sets which are primarily track, just
simply be called track, but I guess accessory track works also.

I would be inclined to only label as service packs, those items which
contain components which do not make a model by themselves, but instead sort
of provide "replacement parts". Of course things like the brick packs and
plate packs etc. don't fall cleanly into this category.

In some ways, what may be more important here is the ability to be able to
search for all items of the following types across all themes, and by theme
(either by themselves, or with the rest of the theme):

promo sets
service packs and accessories
minifig sets

Frank