 Administrative / Database / 477
Re: Pause Set Lists
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.database
Date:
Wed, 17 Nov 1999 16:39:23 GMT

Wow, manual updates sound even more painful and error-prone than my procedure.
There are 3000+ lines in that thing, I can't imagine checking every line for
changes in theme, piece count and whatnot.  I see what you mean, that the
linking is what would make this a piece of cake - the only reason I want to
keep my own list is for my own data, and if that was kept somewhere else with a
link back to the appropriate Pause record, the main Pause list could be
replaced as often as one wanted, with no fear of loss of one's own data.  Cool.
I do like Excel, though, for ease of sorting, filtering and finding totals,
but the relativity of the database is the key, no pun intended.  I'm getting
ideas now about linking the set database to inventory lists... mmm... must
think about that.  Would be nice to find an easy way to include the hypertext
links to the Web version of the Pause lists, too.

That said, the way duplicate set numbers show up in the Web interface is with
-1, -2, etc., although Kevin in Brickshelf uses the year as an appendage.
Either would work, I'm sure.  But if Todd could include in those text lists
whatever it is that distinguishes duplicate set numbers in his internal system,
we'd be ready to roll.  Maybe we, and anyone else inclined to work on it, could
do up a database with the links in place to a blank personal table, and some
useful queries and reports to go with it, for anyone to take for their own use.
No use letting others reinvent the wheel, once it's working well for us.

The main reason I use Access instead of Excel ... I've not written any
reports or forms or any other Access features, I use Access just like you
use Excel in "spreadsheet" mode ... is because I have a utility that will
convert an Access database to a MobileDB database that I can put on my Palm
and take it with me where ever I go.  Makes it much easier to remember if
you already have a set or want a set when you are at a new store

Awright, now I have to come up with a case for my department to get me a Palm
:-)

Cheers, Heather