 Administrative / Database / 342
Re: Parts naming conventions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.database
Date:
Thu, 8 Jul 1999 01:01:53 GMT

In lugnet.admin.database, Larry Pieniazek writes:

Right. And you could denote whether a thingabob was vertical or
horizontal with a variant on the cis/trans nomenclature as well, instead
of using vertical. if we agreed that "cis" (or whatever we picked) meant
an element in the horizontal plane that gripped a rod vertically and so
forth it would stop the quibbling about vertical meaning orientation of
the thing or orientation of what it gripped.

Exactly. If everyone assumes a set starting orientation, such as the word
"lego' on the studs is right side up readable from left to right then it would
be trivial top decide upon a convention for describing a particular side or
top/bottom.

cis-/trans-, E-/Z-, (R)-/(S)-, anti-/syn- ortho-/meta-/para- or even something
obscure like top/bottom/left/right.