 Administrative / Database / 269
Re: What do the set numbers mean?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.faq, lugnet.admin.database
Date:
Thu, 13 May 1999 06:19:58 GMT

Sproaticus wrote:

Todd Lehman wrote:
In lugnet.faq, jsproat@geocities.com (Sproaticus) writes:

<big ol' snip>

And then there are the slash-delimited set numbers (recently discovered by
Joshua) such as 700/0, 700/1, 700/2, 700/3, 700/3A, 700/E, etc.

Hmm.  I am uncomfortable with the term "discovered".  Let's say I
recently _entered_ them.

Do you know what theme or series were these from?

There are the original "Universal" building sets, from the very
beginning of LEGO releases.

Surf here for more...

http://www.lugnet.com/pause/search/?query=700

You'll see that they AT LEAST date back to 1957.

-- joshua

P.S. Interesting trivia: TLG numbered the 10x20 green baseplate as 700/E
for awhile, and they were pretty glued to that number: I recently
received such a baseplate in a set of used LEGO that had "700 E"
EMBOSSED into the bottom of the element!  These aren't that rare, it was
just cool to realize that the element embossing matched the set "number"
on this particular piece.  I have other baseplates of the size and color
without the 700E.