 Administrative / Database / 182
Re: Set Inventories - Multi-piece Parts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.database
Date:
Wed, 17 Mar 1999 21:24:11 GMT

[Rambling, unorganized discourse alert:]

I originally started doing inventories because I pretty much throw
all my parts into common parts bins and I thought one day I would like
to reconstitute a particular set.  To that end, I try to describe each
piece as fully as possible yet keep everything on one 80-character
line (for sort, grep, etc.).  Usually, for me, this means separating
things, but that doesn't mean I have to count them separately
(although I usually do).

This is a difficult, sometimes exasperating topic, on which
Joshua D. is the hands-down expert with the most experience.
As I recall from some of his posts in the past, the general rule
is, if it comes attached from the factory, it is counted as one
part.  So if you try to match your count to box counts you have to
keep this rule in mind.  Matching parts counts with the "official"
counts is made more difficult by the fact that in the past, two boxes of
the same set have had different parts counts on them, and sometimes
the catalog entry has a different number than the box.

Personally, I want to have enough description for a part that I can
pull it out of a bin and know that it goes in a particular set.  I'm
usually fairly consistent in that I count a minifig as 3 parts:
head, torso+arms+hands, legs+feet, which is clearly against
the official rules.  I also try to describe the face, the decor
on the torso, the color of the hands, etc. I try to shoot for a
count higher than what's on the box.  (Technic sets almost always
have extra small pulleys, bushings and 1x1 round plates.)

I guess in summary I would say:  if it comes from the factory attached,
count it as 1 piece but if you think it needs more description, put the
separate parts on different lines.

as evah,

John C

In lugnet.admin.database, Steve Bliss writes:
[I'm posting to lugnet.admin.database, because I didn't want to clutter
lugnet.db.inv with discussion posts]

How do most people handle parts with multiple pieces when inventorying sets?
Examples are:

- Minifigs or
- Minifig Legs & Hips
- Wheels
- Parts on Sprues

Do most people try to use the pieces that count toward the total piece count
shown on NA boxes?  That's what I'm leaning toward, but some details are • easier
to capture by using only single-piece parts.  The inventory either ends up
listing:

1 Orange/Orange/Black  Minifig Torso Assembly, Star Wars Rebel Pilot

or

1 Orange               Minifig Torso, Star Wars Rebel Pilot
1 Orange               Minifig Left Arm
1 Orange               Minifig Right Arm
2 Black                Minifig Hands

The first is complex, the other's long.  Which is better?

Steve