 Administrative / Database / 1065
Re: newsgroups search modifiers ?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.database
Date:
Sat, 24 Feb 2001 20:47:06 GMT

In lugnet.admin.database, "Ray Sanders" <rsanders@svic.net> writes:
Is there a page that explains/defines what are the valid modifiers to a
newsgroup search request ? I seem to recall a message that you posted right
after the big newsgroups search engine downtime which showed some examples

There's now a little round blue question mark link graphic that takes you to
a help area on searching (just added a few minutes ago).  It's not on all of
the pages yet, but it is on all of the news pages and on the main homepage.

(such as how to target a search to a particular relative date). I tried that,
but don't see any effect on the search results.

What did you type?

My searches always seem to return
the oldest items first, which is a pain if I get a large number of hits and what
I'm looking for is more recent.

If it's really returning oldest items first, you might be asking it to look
too far back in time (like 2-3 years).  By default it returns items based on
relevance only (no chronological considerations).  I'll probably put it back
the way it was before where by default it returned items based on a fuzzy
combination of relevance and recentness.

--Todd