 Administrative / Database / 1008
Re: Plans to include LCAD or TLG part numbers on inventroy entries?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.database, lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.db.inv
Date:
Wed, 10 Jan 2001 12:58:02 GMT

In lugnet.db.inv, Jeromy Irvine writes:
"Heather Patey" wrote:
I just uploaded a diagram I threw together in Access to show what's • going on.
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/hpatey/tools/the-plan.gif

Is that a real database, or did you just make that to show how all these
projects are related?

It's a fake.  (If I had a copy of Visio I'd have used that.)  I'd previously
fooled around with the idea of making something real like this for my own
collection but the back-and-forth crossreferencing of parts and sets threw me
for a loop.

I've been kicking around an idea for the past few
month or so (I'll post details later this week, I hope) that requires
some way to unify all the disparate data sources out there.

Well hey, do tell!  I think the biggest problem with the current setup is the
one-way links (lines on my diagram without arrows are two-way).  For example,
you can't get from Tim Vattima's database to any others.  Duplication is also a
hindrance especially if the data's not identical; and of course no database
will ever be complete, although every contribution to the existing structure
helps with that.  Looking forward to your ideas - you'll get more than one
brain storming, I'm sure.

Cheers, Heather
--
Heather Patey