 Administrative / Curators / 85
Re: Curating loc.uk
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.uk, lugnet.admin.curators
Date:
Tue, 16 Apr 2002 17:28:38 GMT

In lugnet.admin.curators, Lawrence Wilkes writes:

"LUGNET Admin" <suz@lugnet.com> wrote in message
In lugnet.loc.uk, Simon Bennett writes:
Some of us had a little chat about the state of the loc.uk front page • at
Jon's and Jon also brought it up in another place recently.  I think • it
would be very useful if we had a curator and, having read up on FTX I
am just about willing to volunteer to take this on, however you • should all
know hat 'I'm a railway engineer not a programmer dammit' and
therefore it is highly likely that there is someone out there better
qualified.  Please feel free to step up if you are interested.

What do you all think?

1 - Should we have a curator?
2 - Does anyone else want to do it?

Psi

FYI, loc.uk currently has Richard Franks as its curator.
  http://www.lugnet.com/people/members/?m=105

Who made a plea back in 2000 for someone to take over.
Which people said they would.

Did they actually ask Suz for a shift or just say they were interested? Suz
and Todd may not have felt there was a clear "I agree to be curator"
statement to warrant shifting. Or maybe they were too busy and overlooked
their mail, but let's not fault anyone for the past. That was then, this is now.

But no one ever did.

But now you have a volunteer. If all parties are agreeable (Richard, Simon,
Suz), it sounds like a switch would be a good idea. Note that I left out
"the loc.uk" readership. Not a slight per se but just an acknowledgement
that not every reader may necessarily agree with everything.

Simon *is* seeking consensus though and it would be nice if he got it.

Curatorship isn't really really hard  (FTX is ultra easy if you're not doing
complex things) but it depends in part on reader submissions.

Hence my sarcastic remark about the annual "who manages the UK site"
question.

And maybe in 2003 it will be warranted again! Curatorship isn't necessarily
a life peerage or anything.