 Administrative / Curators / 79
Re: Curating loc.uk
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.uk, lugnet.admin.curators
Date:
Tue, 16 Apr 2002 15:03:08 GMT

Interestingly the yahoo group seems to be surprisingly well used.

I was thinking of setting up a similar Fest co-ordination group.

Lugnet is OK, but there are far more sophisticated things out there for
managing a group - like sharing a calender, etc to arrange something,
poll interest, sign up for an event, etc.

I did Yahoo as it was quick and easy - but for a more permanent solution
I can easily put something like the site I had last year - which
disappeared because I changed hosts.

Lawrence

"Simon Bennett" <simon.bennett@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
In lugnet.loc.uk, Lawrence Wilkes writes:
Ah!
The annual "how do we manage a UK AFOL website?" question
:-)

lawrence

Well not really. Your previous hard work was helpful and comprehensive • but,
though I can't speak for others, I still spent most time on Lugnet and • would
have preferred to have the loc.uk page be up to date and relevant. • All I
would plan to do is manage the updating of the coming events and other
useful stuff, largely by links to other sites where the real detailed
information would be put up by the organisers (like the link to • Jason's SCLF
page which still graces the sidebar.  By keeping the workload to a
manageable level I think we'll get a resource of some value and remove • the
embarrassment of our prehistoric sidebar.

One example of stuff I don't think I could handle is the shopping bit • that's
there now, I just don't buy enough Lego to have a worthwhile opinion. • If
others can provide info on that aspect then great but otherwise we • should
set our sights at a more sustainable level.

Actually one thing that would have had me visiting your site more was • if
there had been a link at loc.uk - you see I surf Lugnet most at work • and I
am not allowed to set Favourites.