 Western/Wild West / 21
Re: Future Wild West Possibilities
Newsgroups:
lugnet.western
Date:
Tue, 28 Dec 1999 06:21:40 GMT

In lugnet.western, Mike Kane writes:
The Lego group really ought to have done more with this theme.  Frankly, I • love
the Wild West stuff.  Everything was good about this theme; the buildings and
Indian camps looked really cool,

I definitely agree.  The western theme was excellent with great pieces, great
minifigs, great color schemes and overall truly excellent overall models.  The
models weren't even juniorized, even though there were some BURPs (cough,
cough) in some of the sets.  Among many things I'd like to see continued in
the wild west theme are the road baseplates.  So far there was only a curve
baseplate in the bandit's hideout.  Why not make a straight road, a crossroad
and a t-road?  Sort of similar to the town road plates only these would be in
tan.  That would be great!!

By the way the wild west theme was first introduced before the current era
minfigs (before 1978).  There were sets 372 (ranch), 617 (2 cowboys?), 697
(stagecoach) and 365 (wild west scene).  I never owned these old sets but it
looks like the cowboy hats from these old sets have survived into the '96 wild
west theme.  Also the "bank" sticker in set 365 looks strangely similar to the
one in set 6765 gold city junction.

These two occurences of a short series of wild west sets were only about 20
years apart and I hope it will be shorter than that before some new wild west
sets pop up again!  Although I hope that the future wild west sets will not be
so hideously juniorized like the new castle sets.

--Dan