 Vikings / * (-5)
Subject:
Viking Shipyard
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce.moc, lugnet.boats, lugnet.build.ancient, lugnet.vikings
Date:
Fri, 18 Sep 2009 11:58:41 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

I’m working on a viking shipyard for an exhibition in Høje Tåstrup next month. The shipyard itself is ready, so now it is time to build longships.

What do you think of it?

Any blatant anachronisms?

Play well,

Jacob
--
LEGO boats

Subject:
Castle at Brickworld 2009
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle, lugnet.vikings, lugnet.events.brickworld
Date:
Thu, 14 May 2009 13:24:02 GMT

It occurred to me that I ought to repost this info here on LUGNET for any Brickworld attendees who might not read Classic-castle.com.

Hello everyone. I will again be coordinating the Castle display at Brickworld.

Classic-Castle’s own Baron von Ellermann will be the Pirates Coordinator. This year the Castle and Pirate collaborative displays will have a water area between them, so high seas battles are a go! The “water” tables will have a blue cloth spread over them, but please feel free to bring blue baseplates to line the shore with. That way we can make a beach along the coastline. The sea serpents, Viking longboats and Pirate galleons will have plenty of water on which to fight it out. Which brings me to my next point...

We’d like to create a Viking village this year as part of the collaborative Castle display. A simple Google image search yields many pictures of how Viking buildings may have looked. Making a Viking building that plays on popular stereotypes of how Viking architecture looked works just as well too. ;-) Typical Norse architecture has a lot in common with many of the civilian/residential MOCs that I’ve seen people make for medieval era displays. There was a prevalence of wood used over stone, and roofs had distinctive pitches and decorations. Do you already have a Castle themed building that you think might work in a Viking village? Just add plenty of minifigs wearing horned helmets, and that “might work” suddenly turns into a “you betcha!”

Of course, the collaborative Castle display is not limited to Vikings. Any and all Castle themed creations are welcome. In 2007 (Brickworld’s first year) I tried promoting CCC walls, but with limited participation. Then in 2008 I tried promoting landscaping, and we had many more people bring wall sections. :P We would like to make another fortress enclosure out of CCC wall sections this year. Any wall sections (straight, corner, gate, etc.) will be greatly appreciated. We will also be using the Tall Walls this year.

Lastly, please fill out the “MOC info” on the Brickworld site once you’ve registered. (This is for all MOCs, not just Castle ones.) If you plan on including a Castle MOC in the collaborative display, make sure to click the “Classic Castle City” checkbox in your registration information. The checkboxes can be changed, so you can update them if your building plans change.

If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to email me or reply here.

David Gregory
Brickworld Castle Coordinator

crazylegoman@@@verizon...net

Re: New Ldraw parts authors tool: Projector
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.vikings, lugnet.castle
Date:
Wed, 11 Jun 2008 08:21:36 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Michael Horvath wrote:
   Reading your tutorial made me wonder whether scans of the orignal parts could be vectorized using Inkscape (Inkscape includes an automatic raster-to-vector converter). The resultant SVG (Scalable Vector Graphics) file could then maybe be converted to a “flat” LDraw file. One would then proceed normally as outlined in your tutorial.

Hi Mike,

Yes, I considered this possibility in the beginning, but I was not convinced by the vectorization process. One key issue is that silk-screened parts are far from perfect (misprints, color registration problems...). I found that cleaning all these defects would probably be harder than the manual vectorisation process.

And would remain the issue of a flat pattern that need to be cut along former polygon boundaries... but I am working on this one!

Philo

Re: New Ldraw parts authors tool: Projector
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.vikings, lugnet.castle
Date:
Tue, 10 Jun 2008 21:00:06 GMT

Reading your tutorial made me wonder whether scans of the orignal parts could be vectorized using Inkscape (Inkscape includes an automatic raster-to-vector converter). The resultant SVG (Scalable Vector Graphics) file could then maybe be converted to a “flat” LDraw file. One would then proceed normally as outlined in your tutorial.

-Mike

Re: New Ldraw parts authors tool: Projector
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.vikings, lugnet.castle
Date:
Thu, 8 May 2008 11:58:40 GMT

In lugnet.announce, Philippe Hurbain wrote:
This new tool allows easy creation of non-flat patterned LDraw parts. Create
a flat pattern and stamp it on a 3D former.

Philo! Awesome tool, can hardly wait to check it out. I've been waiting for a
long, long time for such a prog.

w.

Redisplay Messages:  Brief | Compact