 Underground / 132
131  |  133
Subject:
rock raiders praise
Newsgroups:
lugnet.underground, lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 28 Jun 2000 13:24:38 GMT

hey folks

i've been enjoying the rock raiders theme much more than i thought i would.
i started out buying the 4980 tunnel transport and 4950 loader dozer
and had a pretty good time with those (though i wasn't too crazy about the
juniorized parts and use of too many colors).

clearance prices encouraged me to buy the 4990 rock raiders hq and i then
picked up the 4940 granite grinder at a regular price because i was quickly
becoming a rock raiders fan.

i held off buying the 4970 chrome crusher until it too went on clearance (got
it for $16.00 last night) but i can now say with confidence that i really like
these sets.  true, they don't have the piece count they could and the large
specialized parts can limit construction possibilities but this futuristic
theme centering around construction/excavation is quite captivating.  now that
things are really discounting at shopko stores it makes it very much worth your
while to pick some sets up if you haven't done so yet.

of particular note to existing fans is the release of the 3347 mini heroes
collection which features the rock raiders commander (previously not in any
other set).  darn sneaky of the lego group to do this but i'm a sucker and i'll
be buying the fig to add to the collection (though i'm not really a completist
in any sense).

i'm currently cooking up some ideas for combination alternate models for these
sets like a mobile construction platform and/or a tank that will utilize two of
the large wheel-chassis elements found in the 4950 and 4970 sets.  the recent
Town set 6474 wheeled front shovel could also easily be drawn into the mix
somehow.

just had to share my fondness for the theme (which is probably in its last
year) and yes, i'm posting this to lugnet.underground AND lugnet.general in
hopes of converting curious parties that have thought about it but haven't made
the leap to buying yet.

keep building (and digging)!!!

..joseph g