 Trains / 9629
Re: LEGO Capacitors use on Trains?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 7 Feb 2001 23:28:11 GMT

there is some spec for the capacitor on TLC web site
http://www.lego.com/dacta/elab/default.htm

Specifications:

     1 F (Farad) 2.5 volt electrolytic capacitor
     Operating voltage 2.5 normal
     Charging voltage maximum 4 volt
     Maximum charging and discharging current 0-250 mA
     Red LED indicator when fully charged at 2.5 volt
     Protected against reverse polarity; capacitor will not fully charge
     Charged to 2.5 V the capacitor will store about 3.125 J of energy

the regulator (I tested 2) have output voltage of 3.0-3.1 Volts on setting #1
and 4.2-4.3 volts on setting #2.

At 3Volts the ligth is not brigth at all.

the suggestion to use the capacitor was good but not working with that
capacitor, again sorry to bring bad news.

Martin

In lugnet.trains, Martin Legault writes:
oups!

don't try it or be very carefull.

the capacitor is a 1Farad 3Volts max capacitor.

that would limit the voltage that you can put your regulator at 3V. If you go
past that voltage, you'll end up blowing up your capacitor (quite a messy
situation with electrolytic capacitor). At that voltage the ligth will be
really dimmed.

so that suggestion will not work,  sorry :-(

Martin

In lugnet.trains, James Powell writes:

Of course, that might be an interesting way to make the train more "speed
realistic" - it would gain speed more slowly since the capacitor would be
pulling power from the motor, and it would slow down more slowly since the
capacitor would be pushing power back into the motor.

IANAEE though...  (I am not an electrical engineer!)

You'd have to use a diode.  Trust me, it is very unlikely that the cap would • be
able to deliver much in the way of power to drive the train (they only hold a
few joules of energy, not much when compared even with the speed of a Lego
train).

I think constant lighting is out for the same reasons, just not enough energy
density in the cap.

James
(IANAEE either, IAAME)