 Trains / 8795
Re: Why don't Lego trains sell (was Re: Walmart revisited)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sat, 16 Dec 2000 16:30:04 GMT

Model trains, in general, seem to be in decline, at least in the US.  Of
course, there is a group of hard-core enthusiasts that really love them, but
the general populous seems more interested in other toys.

My father always comments that model Trains were super-popular back in the
40's and 50's. However, real trains were also quite prevalent at this time.
As planes and trucks replaced trains, the interest in model trains also
dwindled.  Apparently, a particularly big drop in model train sales came
after Sputnik. After this, everyone wanted space toys.

Steve Martin <martinsa@mail.com> wrote in message
In lugnet.market.shopping, Andreas Stabno writes:
In lugnet.market.shopping, Tom Fought writes:
Earlier this morning around 8:00am EST I was looking
at the walmart site... checking to see the status
of this greatest of great sales ;)  and believe it
or not.. all items were apparently still available.
I don't know if they have reliable inventory control
to mark items as sold out/unavailable...

Just for grins, I typed in an order of 1000 Silver Champions yesterday.
Don't get the wrong idea, but the site nicely lists the "actual" number • of
available sets.

As of a little while ago (8:30 CST) here are the current quantities:

Silver Champions: 736
Railway Express:  1808
Highway Constructions: 10
Tie-Interceptors: 64
Tie-Y combos: 264
Destroyer Droids: 493

Doesn't seem like the Railway Expresses are selling too well.  Is this why
TLC doesn't get into trains more?  I am constantly surprised by the number
of people who don't know that TLC makes trains.

Has anyone ever seen a commercial advertising Lego trains?  Has anyone • seen
anything besides the catalogs advertising trains?  I know as a kid • (pre-9V),
I never saw a lego train advertised.  When did trains start showing up in • US
catalogs?

Regards,
Steve Martin