 Trains / 5349
Re: Proof of a Hoax? (was: New 9V Digital Trains for Germany this Autumn)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sat, 1 Apr 2000 15:24:30 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.trains, Andreas Stabno writes:
There's something that has been bothering me with those pictures of automated
points and I finally realized what it is.

The power connectors to drive the switching motor are connected to both parts
of the point.  One is attached to the straight part and the other to the
curved piece.  My electric knowledge isn't all that great, but I was under the
impression that part of the point is isolated as the current is switched from
one part to the other.  Wouldn't this cause havoc with the motor connections?

No. this is exactly where you would have to connect. The outer rails are
unswitched (think about it, they have no points in them, they're unbroken.

If this is a hoax, the hoaxer got this right.

++Lar