 Trains / 5333
Re: 6 vs. 8 wide?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 31 Mar 2000 22:53:32 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

I realize that, but what if the simple installation of an automatic point
makes clearance of 8-wide trains impossible?  Do we then not allow the
remote points on 8 wide layouts?  What about layouts that are 6 wide, but
will connect to 8 wide train layouts?  I would still prefer to run 8 wide,
but now it looks like there is an increase to the cost of switching to 8
wide in regards to the opportunity to have remote points, unless you build
your own.

This just makes me question where I stand.  I don't mind making my own
points, but when others want to hook up to my layout and I have to tell them
to remove their new cool remote points to let my trains pass through
properly, I feel like it just won't really fly.  I prefer 8 wide and I think
it is a lot better.  Lego just doesn't seem to really want to make certain
that their designs can handle 8 wide (or extra long 6 wide) trains.  I fear
that this is a problem that we will continue to run into, as it will be
unlikely that they will make certain that other train accessories in the
future are compatible with 8-wide trains.

I love the new things I see, but it just makes me a little sad to know that
the point motor could have been on the opposite side and allowed oversize
trains to pass, but was instead put on the current side to save money and
use the mold they already have.  It also could have been redesigned to fix
the point geometry while they fixed the point motor location.  Sure, I love
the 80% (of what we asked for) that we got, but we can see that it is highly
unlikely that we will get all of the remaining 20% of what we want.

Mike Poindexter