 Trains / 5274
Re: April 1st sometime in the world ... ? (Re: New Trains)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 31 Mar 2000 17:34:42 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.trains, Michael Edwards writes:
Hi everybody, please read the message below

THis is a needless comment. If your message is worthy of reading it will be
read without the prefacatory fluff.

What is with the rude comments of late?  Someone can't just throw in a little
meaningless statement here and there?  You do it often enough.  I do it, too,
and so do most people.

I rarely watch this group

But i am amazed by the pictures, but the following things puzzle me

1. Since when those DB stickers come back? I thought they belong to the 12V
not to 9V

Stickers can be reprinted.

Yes, but isn't that a real train company?  Wouldn't it have to be liscensed?
Lego hasn't liscensed many realworld companies recently, at least not for
general release sets.

2. Look at 4450 Right at the top right corner appears to be a part of the
wall showning, and the pictures don't look like the way lego does theirs?

No idea what you're getting on about here.

There is a triangular section in the corner.  Seems to be a different object
from the background.  Also, notice the bending in this picture?  That is from a
wide angle or panoramic lens, IMO.

3. Look at 4424, the Station map there, that came from the Police Van
released in 1986

Parts can be reprinted. Parts can be reused. Why design new parts if you can
use old ones again?

Have you *completely* forgotten Lego's track record?  Since when do they
re-issue 14 year old stickers??  That is a *sticker* and not a preprinted part
after all.  Also, 4450 uses the train schedule from 7824, still on the white
bricks.

4. Look at 4468 Looks like at Old 9V Technic motor same for 4438 and 4439,
the old motor was discountued a few years ago.

It would be logical to use the tooling for the outside casing for the DCC
controller instead of developing a new one, if the dimensions work. These are
low volume, save tooling where you can. (the INSIDE of the casing might well
be different but that's a different surface of the mold and could be new
tooling.

Again, Lego likes to make new parts for new functions...

5. 4465 Looks Odd?, why do Lego want to start making little pieces of track?

Because people who build real layouts have been screaming for them for years,
as you'd know if you read the group much.

I've never screamed for them, and I build "real" layouts.  What is the
definition of a "real layout", anyway?

GMLTC makes these with a hacksaw on a regular basis. This may be the most
important new item of them all. Really.

'Tis more challenging to create within the bounds Lego sets for us...  ;)

Too bad they didn't redo the switches/points to fix the geometry problem.

The person who created this hoax probably didn't want to expend the effort,
otherwise I'm sure they would've been there.  :)

6. 4479 There is too much shadow, it's not well done.

Lame critique.

Lame Response.

I read Michael's "critique" (more of an observation, really) as saying
something like, "There is too much shadow for this to be a real lego image; if
it is, it is not well done."

THIS IS A HOAX

Maybe. But a very elaborate one. I'd reserve judgement. Wasn't that what was
said about the star wars preproduction pics?

Just the first one, IIRC.  And most of us had never seen a prepro image then,
so we didn't know what techniques and styles they used.

Please name off a significant announcement that came with pictures that
actually turned out to be a hoax.

There *is* a first time for everything, you know.  Why exactly do you believe
it is real, other than wishful dreaming?  :)

Seems like every time TLC does something good everyone thinks it's a hoax.

No, just when things are so completely different from what they normally do.
These are not, IMO, of a style lego would build in.  For example, the steam
engine in 4450 is way to big for an official Lego model, IMO.  This is the kind
of thing I'd expect to come from someone like Eric Brok.

If you think it's a hoax you have to explain where the metal wheels on 4460
came from, those are going to be very hard to fake. And the large spokers on
4450 for that matter.

Since the quality isn't very good, it is impossible to say for sure what they
are made of.  Maybe the hoaxer has access to metal or plastic molds (maybe the
sand kind, but not permanant ones).

Jeff