 Trains / 3887
Re: Pantograph powered LEGO trains?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.org.us.gmlug, lugnet.trains.org
Date:
Thu, 27 Jan 2000 21:34:44 GMT

James,

I responded to your post earlier today but it didn't show-up so here's another
try.

I've been making Z-scale models under a microscope for years so Lego scale is
a cakewalk in comparison.  Kathryn, made in 1996, was decorated entirely with
stickers cut and applied by hand.  The dark green areas are a special type of
adhesive-backed vinyl used to insulate cellulose-based containers from ceramic
abrasion ( commonly known as kitchen contact paper :-) ).  The dull gold
striping, also vinyl, is cut from a striping sheet made for R/C cars which can
be found in hobby shops.  Each straight and curved segment was cut and applied
separately . . . a lot of work back then.  Nowadays I print nearly all my
stickers either on an ink-jet (HP) or dye-sublimation (Alps) printer.  In
fact, Kathryn has a sister awaiting decoration that will be a lot easier this
time.

I prefer to print ink-jet on opaque white plastic stickers (paper yellows
quickly).  The colors are well saturated, they hold-up to wear, and the
material is readily available at computer and office supply stores.  These,
however, work best on white bricks as matching the background color to an
underlying brick color if difficult.  In these applications, I dye-sub onto a
clear adhesive-backed polyester material used in the graphic arts industry
(try an art supply or drafting store).  However, inks don't stick as well to
polyester so they're not as suitable for children's play.  They handle OK, but
if you intentionally run your fingernail across then some ink will scratch
off. The other issue with polyester is stiffness so it doesn't conform to
compound curves the way vinyl does.  I've all but given-up on de-stressing
vinyl with heat because the softening temperature for polyester is very close
to ABS and there's too great a risk of brick damage.  BTW, all the  "brass"
looking bands and domes are cut from sheets of foil-backed polyester sold in
hobby stores.  The other alternative is printing on clear decal sheets (decals
have to be soaked in water vs. stickers which don't) also available through
hobby shops.  I don't use decals on Lego models, however, because their
application is more involved and the glue can affect the color and surface
texture of bricks.  Also, decals really need an airbrushed clearcoat to
achieve a nice sheen.

I'll try to put a couple more pictures of cars decorated with custom stickers
up this weekend.

-BMW

In lugnet.trains, James J. Trobaugh writes:
Brain,

Wow, those are some very impressive examples of your work. I'd love to see
in some more detail on how you create the stickers. It's hard to believe
that the three green bricks on the front of your "Kathryn" are not painted
and only covered with stickers! Thats really amazing. I'd definitely like to
see some more.

jt