 Trains / 31694

Subject:
Question for the electronics experts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 3 Feb 2015 16:35:33 GMT

Anyone know if it is possible to hack the Power Functions remotes & receivers to
operate on a different 'band'?

GMLTC is working on plans for our next club layout, and we might have seven
operating loops.  If we are running PF trains, we'll have some interference
since there are only four PF channels to choose from.

If someone could modify the system to operate on a different frequency /
protocol / whatever, we could use that for the club trains and not interfere
with the guest trains that kids bring to run on our layout.

Any ideas?  Thanks!

JohnG, GMLTC

Re: Question for the electronics experts
Anyone know if it is possible to hack the Power Functions remotes & receivers to
operate on a different 'band'?

GMLTC is working on plans for our next club layout, and we might have seven
operating loops.  If we are running PF trains, we'll have some interference
since there are only four PF channels to choose from.

If someone could modify the system to operate on a different frequency /
protocol / whatever, we could use that for the club trains and not interfere
with the guest trains that kids bring to run on our layout.

Any ideas?  Thanks!

But each channel has 2 separate controls, red & blue, so you can control up to 8
trains without resorting to modifications, as long as each only uses 1 output.

ROSCO

Re: Question for the electronics experts
Anyone know if it is possible to hack the Power Functions remotes & receivers to
operate on a different 'band'?

GMLTC is working on plans for our next club layout, and we might have seven
operating loops.  If we are running PF trains, we'll have some interference
since there are only four PF channels to choose from.

If someone could modify the system to operate on a different frequency /
protocol / whatever, we could use that for the club trains and not interfere
with the guest trains that kids bring to run on our layout.

Any ideas?  Thanks!

But each channel has 2 separate controls, red & blue, so you can control up to 8
trains without resorting to modifications, as long as each only uses 1 output.

ROSCO

I usually put motor(s) on blue, and lights on red.  So each channel controls one
train.

I'm mostly concerned with all the kids who bring "guest trains", I want to make
sure they can run their trains without interfering with ours.

[...]

Perhaps look into SBrick: https://www.sbrick.com/

It allows control of up to 64 outputs, and is an almost drop in replacement for
LEGO controllers. Pretty expensive, but you could just get 3 or 4 and use IR for
the rest. As long as you have enough smart phones to control them all 8?)

ROSCO

Re: Question for the electronics experts
I'm mostly concerned with all the kids who bring "guest trains", I
want to make sure they can run their trains without interfering with
ours.

I think you would have to have custom receivers using a different band
(or protocol) to do that.

Play well,

Jacob
--
Bison (building instructions):
                  http://lego.sparre-andersen.dk/Dyr/Bison/

Re: Question for the electronics experts