 Trains / 31683
Re: Exploring a new track radius
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 20 Jan 2014 18:13:28 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.trains, Steve Bliss wrote:
In lugnet.trains, Ondrew Hartigan wrote:
[snip details about alternate radius curved tracks]

Here's a link to some drawings of a potential larger radiuses from a 2002 thread
<http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=28054>

I'm sure this has been discussed, but would it be better to make individual
sleeper plates along with flexible rails that can be attached to the sleepers?
That way, people can make whatever radius curves they need - even
variable-radius curves.  And only 1 small die would be needed.

I guess the down side would be the challenge of anchoring individual sleepers
securely at arbitrary angles and positions.  With monolithic curved tracks,
that's less of an issue.

Steve

There are a few inherent issues with "flex track". Tying it into the current
system, safety since metal rails can be sharp, Transporting the segments exc.
Making just the ties was my initial idea too (apparently for other people as
well) but it does not keep system of play intact which I think is important to
the product gaining wide acceptance with both the AFOL community and the typical
lego fan.

Your post did bring up an idea however in that perhaps we can have the rails
molded much like the 12v system with the Me-models system modifications (the
overlapping ends) and if we really want to get crazy we can use Conductive
plastic to give 9v guys the rails you want too.  Conductive plastic seems to be
pretty neat: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OntMOoawwjk
http://www.electriplast.com/

Thoughts?