 Trains / 31681

Subject:
Exploring a new track radius
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sun, 19 Jan 2014 21:18:10 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Quite a few of us in the community have wanted a new track radius for a very
very long time. When we were in the 9v era the argument against it given was the
metal rails would be too expensive. Now that we are in the RC era and the track
is plastic the cost is considerably less. This in my opinion is enough of an
argument to bring the idea up again.

The main issue as I see it now is the cost of the mold. We as fans could
possibly make it happen but at possibly $50,000 (A guess) for the mold the cost
per unit would be in the $5-$10 range. This is certainly doable but is the
demand there? The other option as I see it is to talk Lego into making the mold.
Lego molds don't last forever and The Lego Group will need to eventually replace
the current curve track mold. If we as a community can make the argument that
the new Radius would be a win/win for both the company and the community In my
opinion I think its possible that we might get what we need. The obvious caveat
to this argument is the current switch geometry which relies on the current
curve track.

Here's a link to some drawings of a potential larger radiuses from a 2002 thread
<http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=28054>

Thoughts?

Ondrew
P.s. If someone knows how to properly price a plastic injection mold please do.
I personally would be willing to invest a few thousand to make this happen if
the mold price is reasonable.

Re: Exploring a new track radius