 Trains / 30050
Re: Articulation with "working" connecting rods
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 21 Feb 2008 05:47:31 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Sebastian Dyson wrote:
I'm trying to design an 8-wide 4-8-4 using Big Ben's wheels (CAD only, I'm but a
poor student), and want the loco to be able to negotiate standard Lego curves.
As the leading truck has an axle each side of the cylinders, I'm finding it hard
to keep the cylinders fixed relative to the driving wheels without the cylinders
and/or rods fouling the wheels of the pilot truck.

I could raise the cylinders, as in Rosco's X class
(http://www.br-eng.info/about/lego/mocs/x-class.htm), but I'd really prefer not
to, as the prototype's cylinders are quite low (the bottom edge of the cylinder
is about level with the leading truck's axles), and I can only move them so far
outboard before they look ridiculous.

Another option is to have no connection between the rods on the wheels and the
cylinders and have the cylinders turn with the leading truck, which seems a
little like cheating.

So if anyone's got any tips or experience in this, I'd love to hear it.

Indeed, it is good to get all the right parts in all the right places. It is
also great to see the compilation of so many solutions that people came up with.

I'm surprised that Neither Ben nor Anthony pointed out the idea of splitting the
pilot truck that they came up with,

<http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=2228983>

and I borrowed

<http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=2667620>

I've also done the tiny wheels under the drivers,

<http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=2988648>

but that would be pretty mousy for a Northern.

Benn

PS, Tim D. quit reading my mind before I think it... although I had not seen
your design before I have already been tinkering in that direction.