 Trains / 27833
Re: Articulation with "working" connecting rods
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 11 Sep 2006 14:54:55 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Sebastian Dyson wrote:
I'm trying to design an 8-wide 4-8-4 using Big Ben's wheels (CAD only, I'm but a
poor student), and want the loco to be able to negotiate standard Lego curves.
As the leading truck has an axle each side of the cylinders, I'm finding it hard
to keep the cylinders fixed relative to the driving wheels without the cylinders
and/or rods fouling the wheels of the pilot truck.

I could raise the cylinders, as in Rosco's X class
(http://www.br-eng.info/about/lego/mocs/x-class.htm), but I'd really prefer not
to, as the prototype's cylinders are quite low (the bottom edge of the cylinder
is about level with the leading truck's axles), and I can only move them so far
outboard before they look ridiculous.

Another option is to have no connection between the rods on the wheels and the
cylinders and have the cylinders turn with the leading truck, which seems a
little like cheating.

So if anyone's got any tips or experience in this, I'd love to hear it.

As a train novice I don't know how much help I can be, but since I don't
remember reading this idea thus far in the thread, I'm just going to throw it
out there: shrink the wheels.

I ran into this problem once before, and while designing a 4-6-2 I've had in
mind I've decided to once again not use the BBB wheels on the 4 wheel lead
truck, using them only for the trailing truck.  Instead, I use the small train
wheels:  http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=50254  and it clears all the
pistons and cylinders fine.

It's not an ideal solution, but it saves on aggrivation on my end.

--Anthony