 Trains / 29636
Re: A power rail idea
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 15 Oct 2007 22:17:14 GMT

In lugnet.trains, William R. Ward wrote:
With all the advances in battery (rechargeable and otherwise) technology these
days, you might be a little shortsighted in your estimation of the feasibility
of battery trains.

When I see somebody set up a public exhibition and run trains from 10 AM to 6 PM
using batteries, and not give more than passing thought to battery management,
then batteries will have arrived.
(:holds breath:)......
*pshewwww*

But assuming you are correct, my biggest concern about this idea is the fact
that it would no longer look like a real train.

Yup.  It's visually ugly.

That's always been my objection
to the 12V system and 3-rail systems like Lionel, since real train tracks only
have two rails.

I'm with you there.  But hey, it's Lego, I can bend a little. If I wanted
fine-scale modeling, I'd be doing 0 scale.

The whole genesis of this idea was trying to make the best play possible with
the cards that were dealt.  Assumption #1: plastic R/C track.  Assumption #2:
TLG might consider power distribution accessories compatible with plastic R/C
track, as long as the basic system stayed cheap and simple for kids.

Once you resign yourself to the ugliness that is three-rail trains, you might as
well avail yourself of the one benefit that three-rail can deliver: elimiation
of polarity reversal issues.

-dave